Friday, November 13, 2009

Maps

I have this fascination, and love for maps and globes--new maps, old maps, foreign maps, local maps, big maps, small maps, etc. I've tried looking for a really big old map (or new, depending how it looks) for a good price, but have not yet stumbled upon that big treasure. I did buy a big map but have not framed it, or figured out how I would, since it's a good size.

I thought I'd decorate Rock's room with various maps (and globes). He does like looking at them. We also thought it would be good for him (and the family) to know the various people around the world. With that said, I started collecting maps a year ago, and I finished framing five of them. I still need a couple more, but I'll see when I can get to that. I like the way they turned out, and amazingly it cost me nothing!  The maps I got for free at AAA (we're members, but not sure if anyone else can walk in and ask), and the frames were old baby wooden frames that Rock outgrew.  I simply cut the map according to the wood block frame, and then pasted it on.  I also want to make a map banner out of the maps (I'll be sure to post latter).
I made some of places we visited, lived, and where we live now. In June, hopefully we can set one up for Seattle! How exciting.

3 comments:

  1. Maps are really such cool items. I adore your idea of using them to decorate a room. It will be sooo wonderful! Have a lovely merry happy weekend and love to yoU!

    jacqueline
    http://jqlinesocuteithurts.typepad.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so funny, I have been looking for a large old map..with no luck. That is such a good idea about, "Knowing people around the world." That is the main reason why I need to get a large map.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love maps and globes, too. I've seen some butterfly cut-outs of maps on Etsy that I absolutely covet. & don't come to Seattle too soon--it'll be all rain until May, I think!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love hearing from friends :)